1. Where is the reunion home base/host hotel?
The reunion "headquarters"/host hotel is :
Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside
4875 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92106
2. Is it too late to sign up to attend?
Unfortunately registration is closed at this time.
3. Would I be able to walk up, pay, and attend?
Unfortunately we needed to provide an accurate headcount in advance to the host hotel for the event; the banquet in particular is a plated dinner which required us to provide an accurate count for food ordering. The ship tour required us to provide names of all attendees for base access and headcount for bus transportation. This severely limits our ability to accomodate walk-up attendees who have not registered in advance.
4. Can I bring a guest/buddy/shipmate to the event who is not registered?
Please see above. We have had to provide accurate headcounts for hotel events such as the welcome reception, breakfasts, and banquet for food ordering, and names of attendees in advance for bus transportation and base access for the ship visit. This severely limits our ability to accomodate guests who have not registered in advance.
5. Can I bring additional guest(s) to the reunion?
Please see above.
6. When and where do we check in when we arrive?
Check-in desk for the reunion will be open at the Holiday Inn Bayside starting 10am on Friday June 9. (IT'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO CHECK IN FOR THE REUNION ON FRIDAY WHEN YOU ARRIVE; SATURDAY MORNING WILL BE QUITE BUSY.)
7. Should I check in as soon as I arrive?
Yes! It's advisable to check in as soon as you arrive for the event. Although check-in will be open starting Friday 10am and Saturday morning before buses board for the ship tour, Saturday morning will be extremely busy and buses must be boarded starting at 8:30am. DO NOT WAIT - check in when you arrive Friday if at all possible.
9. When do I get the merchandise I ordered?
All advance orders/purchases will be included in your welcome bag when you check in for the event.
10. Will additional merchandise be available to buy at the event?
In addition to what you ordered in advance, a limited supply of additional items will be available at the event. Tote bags and mugs will be in good supply, a limited quantity of coins and T-shirts will be on hand. Payment by mobile pay (Zelle, PayPal, Venmo) or check will be accepted.
11. Will the ship have CG-59 items for sale?
We have asked the ship to make ball caps and other CG-59 items available for purchase during our visit. Please bring cash if you wish to make a purchase. Supplies available will depend on how much they have on hand.
12. When does the Hornblower Cruise get going? Do I need to have signed up in advance?
Hornblower Cruise gets underway Friday June 9 at 1pm. Please be at the pier before no later than 12:30, or at the Hotel between 11am and 12pm for transport to the pier. We needed to provide headcount in advance, so all attendees needed to have registered and paid in advance. If you're driving yourself and have room for shipmates, that would help with transportation thanks.
13. What time is the Meet and Greet reception at the hotel?
Meet and Greet starts Friday June 9 at 5pm at the Holiday Inn Bayside in the Bayside ballroom. Complimentary hors d'ouevres and 2 drink tickets (cash bar thereafter). Meet and Greet will go until 11pm, feel welcome to come and go as you please.
14. What's the schedule for Saturday morning?
- Reunion check-in will reopen starting 7am (IT'S HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO CHECK IN FOR THE REUNION ON FRIDAY; SATURDAY MORNING WILL BE QUITE BUSY.)
- 7:30 - 8:30am Complimentary continental breakfast.
- 8:30am SHARP Board buses for ship visit. ALL ATTENDEES MUST HAVE THEIR REUNION NAME BADGE TO BOARD THE BUS. BUSES WILL DEPART THE HOTEL PROMPTLY AT 9 AM. ALL ATTENDEES MUST RIDE BUSES TO 32ND STREET.
- 9:00am SHARP Buses depart for Naval Station San Diego.
- 9:30 - 11:30am CG-59 ship visit.
- Buses return to hotel at 12 noon.
15. What can I expect for the ship visit?
All that said, the ship is looking forward to hosting us and it will be a memorable day. We'll take buses from the hotel over to 32nd Street. ALL ATTENDEES MUST HAVE THEIR REUNION NAME BADGE TO BOARD THE BUS. BUSES WILL DEPART THE HOTEL PROMPTLY AT 9 AM. ALL ATTENDEES MUST RIDE BUSES TO 32ND STREET.
As we did for the last reunion, when we arrive at the ship we'll divide up by division. Each division will have a duty section running mate to take you around to see your former work station, berthing (if available), mess decks, and other points of interest. We will then gather back on the flight deck for some remarks and a group photo.
We have asked the ship to have ballcaps and other items available for sale. Quantities will depend on what they have on hand. Please have cash if you wish to make a purchase.
16. Will there be lunch when we get back to the hotel?
Yes, complimentary bag lunch will be available when we return.
17. What happens Saturday afternoon?
The Bayside Ballroom will be available to us to spend time with shipmates and relax; or you can rest in your room prior to the banquet, or take advantage of free time in San Diego. We will need to vacate the ballroom at 3pm so staff can set up for the banquet.
18. What's the schedule for the Last Quarters Banquet on Saturday? What is the dress code?
Dress is business casual - collared shirt, slacks etc.
- 6pm Cocktail Hour, Bayside Ballroom, Open Bar;
- 7pm Bar is Closed and seating for dinner;
- Program and remarks, toward the end of dinner service;
- 8pm Bar is Open, floor is open for toasts; continues until 10pm, at which time staff needs to begin setting up for Sunday's Memorial Service.
19. Will there be a vegetarian dinner option?
Yes. Main dinner entree will be marinated Tri-Tip beef and chicken picata, along with salad, roasted potatoes, vegetable medley, dessert and coffee. There will be a vegetarian option for those desiring it.
20. What's the schedule for the Memorial Service on Sunday?
- 7:30 to 8:30am complimentary continental breakfast, Bayside Ballroom;
- 8:30am move to other side of ballroom set up for Service;
- 9:00 to 10:00am, Memorial Service. Reunion concludes following Memorial Service.
21. Will there be merchandise for sale after the event?
Depending on sales at the event, we expect to have limited quantities of items for sale after the event. If there is enough demand we can place another order for items. Some items might cost more if there is a smaller production run, and there may be an additional shipping charge. Please check back here for updates.
22. Where do I go with questions at the event?
Our event sign-in table will be manned by volunteers for most of the event. In addition we will have an event concierge on duty at the hotel who is dedicated to our Reunion; this person will usually be found at or near the sign-in desk or in the vicinity of the Bayside Ballroom and can answer questions or provide assistance. And always feel welcome to seek out a member of the Reunion Committee for any help you might need.