Dear Classmates, April 27, 2022
It is hard to believe that there are only 4 months to go before our reunion. We’ve been making good progress on the plans for that weekend, and appreciate your help finding missing classmates, adding your information to the reunion website, and making plans for the weekend.
The great thing about having a reunion at the end of August in Madison is the weather, the buzz of students returning to campus, and all the other events. But all these things make it a very busy time! With only 4 months to go before the reunion, it’s time to:
- Buy your reunion tickets: Tickets are on sale now and are required for the Saturday night event. They cost only $50 each, but the prices go up after June 30. As of today, we’ve sold 56 tickets. For more information and to purchase them, go to: https://myevent.com/westhighclassof72/tickets
- Make your travel arrangements: We’ve heard from several people that some hotels are filling up, given how busy it is that weekend in Madison, with many UW and community-wide events. Also, Madison has a decent supply of taxis and Ubers, but if you’re renting a car, you will have fewer options—if any at all—the longer you wait.
Here’s an update on the plans for the reunion weekend:
Thursday, August 25th
- Some grade school/junior high school reunions are being planned
Friday, August 26th
- 11 AM – 3 PM: Picnic on Picnic Point
- 12 noon – 2 PM: Boat ride on Lake Mendota (see details below if you want to sign up)
- 12 noon – 5 PM: Golf outing at Blackhawk Country Club
- 2 PM – 4 PM: Nap time…
- 5 PM – 10 PM: Gathering on the Memorial Union Terrace
Saturday, August 27th
- 8 AM – 10 AM: Farmers Market on the Square
- 11 AM – 1 PM: Tour of West High and presentation of the plans for the renovation project
- 2 PM – 4 PM: Nap time…
- 5 PM – 11 PM: Reunion at Blackhawk Country Club
Sunday, August 28th
- 8 AM – 11 AM: Open time to meet with classmates for coffee/breakfast
- 12 noon – 5 PM: Picnic at Bob (Bear) Phillips’ farm in Verona (directions to follow)
Finally, we’ve been asked by many people, how they can help. Here’s how:
We will use this website to communicate about the reunion, to sell tickets for the Saturday night event, and to connect with other classmates. The details on how to register are below.
- Consider donating to the reunion: We have received over $3,700 from 29 donors to help pay the planning costs (e.g., website, postage, supplies) and keep the event affordable for all to be able to attend. To donate, go to: https://myevent.com/westhighclassof72/donation.
- Keep in Touch: There are several other ways for you to keep in touch as the reunion approaches:
-Email us at: email@example.com
-Join the Facebook Group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/104938602940042
Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions—or if you’d like to join us in our monthly planning meetings.
Your 50th reunion planning committee: Bob Curry, Betsy (Payton) Duren, Bob Emmerich, Ellen (Roenneburg) Emmitt, Laurie Levin, Bob Lucas, Sue (Greene) Meyer, Linda (Connelly) Peterson, Bear Phillips, Kate (L’Heureux) Remington, Pat Remington, Ginny Rohlich, Sandy Rotter, and Ken Saiki.
Lake Mendota Boat Trip Update
- What: Betty Lou Cruise on Lake Mendota
- When: Friday, August 26th, 2022; 12:00 noon – 2:00pm
- Where: Mariner’s Inn Boat Dock
- Food: Deluxe Appetizer Buffet (see menu below)
- Beverages: Cash Bar
- Bathrooms: Two
- Handicap/Wheelchair Accessible? Unfortunately, no.
- Estimated Cost per person: Approximately $65 (depending on the number of participants).
- Capacity: Grand Mariner Yacht – 42 persons, or the Excellabella Yacht – 50 persons.
- Menu: Assorted chips and dips, Gardetto’s snack mix, vegetarian variety platter, Wisconsin cheese & cracker platter, mini artisan sandwiches, pesto chicken skewers, spinach stuffed mushrooms, Cajun meatballs, pot stickers, bacon wrapped water chestnuts
- The Betty Lou Cruise is the only boating option on the Madison Lakes that would be suitable for our group. The cruise requires food service (on a per person basis), so there is not an option to do the ‘cruise-only.’
- RSVP to our Reggie Regent email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to come. Indicate the number in your group including your spouse/partner/significant other, or guest. About 30 people have already confirmed, so there are about 20 spots remaining. We do not need payment at this time, but based on the response, we will determine the final cost and contact you all with the payment details.
How to register on our reunion website (https://myevent.com/westhighclassof72)
We will use this website to communicate about the reunion, and for people to pay for the costs of the event. To register, simply follow these four simple steps:
- Go to “Menu” in the upper right corner and select “Classmates” and click on “” It will ask you for your first and last name, an email address, and a secure Password. Please note that emails and contact information won’t be shared publicly.
- Once registered you will be asked for optional contact information. If you give a city location, it will show on the map on the “Where Are They Now”
- To help connect with your classmates, please answer the four questions about your:
- Work life,
- What you are doing today, and
- What is on your bucket list?
- Finally, upload a “now” photo (headshot). After you finish registering, we will upload a “then” photo using your headshot from the West 1972 Yearbook.